From: "Tim McCarty" <sunk99-at-msn.com>
Subject: Re: New Member - Michigan
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:48:55 +0000

<cut & snip>
>>Frank Pittelli wrote:
>>...when a paintball hits a tank, you not only see the hit, but you hear it
>>and feel it...
You bet!  <Insert Tim the Toolman Taylor laugh, Argh>  So what's the lessons
learned on adding simulated incremental damage such as popping the turret,
disabled propulsion, smoke, etc?  To complex I'll guess?  Always good to
learn the easy way from those who have been there done that.

>>We don't want to stifle innovative thinking...
>>Physics does a good job of limiting speed all by itself...
>>Scale speed clearly favors the most modern tanks
Got'cha - logical reasoning.  Makes sense to establish equal playing grounds
between different era's of models as is done with the armor & cannon rules.
Makes the Commander's skill's more a factor in battle.  Guess I was more
concerned about top speed and the potential to escalate.  1/6 scale speeds
over the last century appear to run from about 3 to 8 mph.  8mph is pretty
quick so I see it's not really an issue and could always be addressed it if
it ever became an issue.

Along that same train of thought, I assume different colored paintballs were
considered to simulate the different tank main gun scale rounds, rather than
ammo limitations.  What was the logic in selecting the ammo limit instead of
equally the playing ground between light and heavy armaments?
Got to have some scale in there I'll gather.

>Re: Slip rings
>>...passes the wires through the center of rotation....you'll never rotate
>>more than 720 degrees.
That's a great lesson learned so thanks much for the info as it simplifies
the modeling.  I did like Rusty's possible pseudo-slip ring using a cheap
rotating phone connector.  I was thinking much more expensive along the
lines of a liquid connector such as sold by Mercotac:
http://www.mercotac.com

TimMc