From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Re: Scale, Speed, and Rules (was: New Member - Michigan)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:27:47 -0400

Frank Pittelli wrote:

> More importantly, when a paintball hits a tank, you not only see the
> hit, but you hear it and feel it.  The shooter and shootee both get a
> shot of adrenaline and all your senses work overtime to figure out how
> to make/avoid the next hit.  (You get even more of a burst of
> adrenaline when the paintball goes whizzing past your ear ;-)

Oh, I know that feeling *REAL WELL* ...

I'm reminded of a game of paintball some years ago... we were defending
a "village" and one of the judges was standing in the wrong place, and
took a paintball *in the ear* broadside. He tried to blow his whistle to
stop the game, but dropped like a sack of potatoes. And people ask me
why I always had neoprene wrapped around my head...

Glad to hear you guys don't go in for the
"back-and-forth-behind-the-hill" dance that is physically impossible for
any full-size vehicle weighing over 500lbs.

> It's interesting to note that you only included WW-II tanks in your
> example.  Try formulating such an approach for 100 years of vehicles
> ranging from pre-WW-I to Desert Storm.  Clearly, any rule based on
> scale specs would result in nothing but M1A1s on the field, since it
> is faster, stronger and more powerful than any other tank ever built.
> Most scale clubs limit themselves to a relatively short time period in
> history to reduce such problems, and we'd rather have lots of
> different vehicles on the battlefield so that everyone can build their
> favorite.

I was thinking more along the lines of a heavy / medium / or light
classification, with all vehicles of that class (regardless of era)
sharing the same limitations, so that a WWI male (old, slow, heavy gun)
could have a shot at surviving against a BFV (new, fast, light gun).  To
paraphrase an age-old engineering axiom, "Armor, armament, or speed --
pick two."  Sure, an M1A1 has all three (in spades) but, for the sake of
being nice to your fellow tankers, you'd have to give one of them up.

> Also, scoring hits only at certain ranges according to scale gun specs
> simply won't work on a competitive battlefield.  It's difficult enough
> to get a group of grown men to agree that a paintball actually hit a
> vehicle in some circumstances (it bounced, it splattered on the
> ground, that was already there, etc.)  We follow the lead of the human
> paintball game ... it there's paint, you're hit ... doesn't matter how
> it got there or from whom.

Mostly the same issues in the human paintball game... but made stranger
because different fields have different rules. Some fields disallow
shots to the head or marker while others don't. Splatter (ball strikes
tree first and then spits paint on you) and bounces (ball hits you but
doesn't break) don't count. And I always preferred to bring my own ball:
black shell with white or green paint. You can't see the black shell
very well in flight, but it makes a really nice flash when it hits.

Hmm.. there's an interesting question. Do barrel hits count? (I may have
to rethink that 70 calibre gun)  I'll assume that track / suspension and
cupola hits do count... but that hits on "detail" (like Ma Deuce on top
of a Sherman or a sighting periscope) wouldn't?

It's just that, in thinking about it (but not actually having been out
with you guys and done it), it would seem that a Tiger shooting a
Sherman in the face should score a hit, whereas a Sherman shooting a
Tiger in the face should have his head examined.

> Simple rules make fun games.

... and ya'll make the rules, I'm just here to have fun.  :-)

    - Steve "preparing to be picked off by Steve, Will, and John" Edwards

P.S.      CHECK IT!  CHECK IT!  CHECK IT!  <-- paintball joke