From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Re: New Member - Michigan
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:53:24 -0400

Tim McCarty wrote:

> I think I might give it a go - maybe a Bradley or MLRS.

I thought about doing an M4A3 with the rocket launcher (ripple firing 60
rounds would be kinda cool) but the manifold for the rocket launcher got
too complicated and I got to thinking it'd be more scary than effective,
anyway. And besides, Jagdpanzers are just too cool. :-)

>   1)  Any reason speed isn't limited/scaled?

I wondered about this after watching  a 1/16 battle (the little guys
that shoot IR beams). There was a lot of "unrealistic" tactical
maneuvering going on; struck me as "gaming," and reminded me of the
differences between laser-tag and paintball.  I haven't seen the "big
boys" go at it yet though, so I couldn't say if those tactics translate.

IMO it makes some amount of sense to have a limited speed scale (heavy /
medium / light) but only if the scoring of frontal hits were adjusted as
well -- ie a Sherman sould be faster than a Tiger, but the Tiger's 88mm
should likewise be able to score a frontal hit at double the range of
the Sherman's 76mm. Tallying of hits could be made easier by using
different color paintballs for heavy / medium / light guns.

Sherman was good for about 15-20km offroad... at 1/6 that'd be about
2-2.5ft/sec. Tiger had about same speed onroad but wasn't as
maneuverable offroad, so, say 10-15km or 1.5-2ft/sec.

Lessee... Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) was good for about 15-20km offroad, so
about the same as a Sherman -- but at 1/4 it should be allowed 3.5ft/sec...

    - Steve "I told you I was nuts" Edwards