From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: New Member - Michigan
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:45:07 -0400

Tim McCarty wrote:

>   Before anyone asks, no - I can't give out tech drawings to the general
> public.  :)  Sorry.

We're not the "general public" ... we're an elite group of AFV prototype
experts ;-)

Seriously, it's nice to have someone on the mailing list with first
knowledge of the various design techniques and tradeoffs.  It sounds
like your colleagues have a lot of collective modeling experience that
may help answer some of our questions as time goes on.

>   Anyhow, l've read most of the archives and look forward to hearing
> more.  I do have a couple of questions:
>   1)  Any reason speed isn't limited/scaled?

Couple of reasons:

1) We don't want to stifle innovative thinking at this stage in the
hobby.  If someone builds a more efficient track/drive system, then they
should be allowed to reap the benefits of that creativity.  (Just like
the warship hobby, however, technical advantages only last until the
next battle ... when everyone else has it as well ;-)

2) Physics does a good job of limiting speed all by itself ... you can
only carry so much battery power and you've got to move a 100+ vehicle
around the field for an hour.  If excessive speed becomes an issue one
day, we'll probably restrict the ability to change batteries during the
battle.  So, you'll still be allowed to go fast, but if you can't
sustain that speed over the course of the battle, your advantage at the
beginning may become a disadvantage at the end.

3) Scale speed clearly favors the most modern tanks and would therefore
significantly reduce the diversity of vehicle types on the battlefield.

>   2)  Anybody using slip rings for servo leads passing into the turret?
> How constructed?

Every tank that has been battled so far simply passes the wires through
the center of rotation.  This works because in practice, you rarely
rotate the turret through 360 degrees (you're usually dead if you need
to rotate that much) and you'll never rotate more than 720 degrees.
With even just a little slack in the wire, a 2 turn twist is not a problem.

        Frank P.