From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Re: Introductions... and insanity
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:30:20 -0400

The plan is to build a welded steel spaceframe out of 1/4" bar stock
with inset 1/4" plywood, then fiberglassed. I wouldn't consider building
a wood-only chassis, as I've seen what stong motors can do to
seemingly-strong wood.

Power will be 2hp electric motors geared down 20:1. Batteries shouldn't
be a problem, at 1/4 scale a Jagdpanzer would be about 2.5 ft wide, so
there'll be lots of room. Drive sprocket rims will be cast (if I can't
find something suitable OTS), sprocket teeth will be steel. Track links
will be cast from C-1508 (aluminum/urethane resin) with steel pins.

I don't expect maneuverability will be much of a problem, as the power
to weight ratio will be well within acceptable limits (at 400lbs it'd
have the same HP/W as a moden M1 Abrams). Force on the teeth at the
sprocket should be on the order of 650psi, total tractive force over 500lbs.

That is, if it all holds together. The big question mark is the C-1508,
which is supposed to be good for 11,200psi, but I don't know how well it
will perform at track link thickness, so finding out will be the first
part of this project.