From: "John Barager" <gogetta20-at-hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Introductions... and insanity
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:26:18 -0300

Man, having a tank that large will require alot of practise. I'm working on a Char FCM 2C (One of the WW1 tanks jopining the fray).And the rolling chassis is about 6 feet long, over 2 feet wide and tall. The whole thing is going to weigh close to 200 or 250 lbs. Soit's a real challange.

And if you plan to use wood, take my sugestion and use a strong wood for an interior frame (Like a roll cage in a car, except it's the frame), and cover it in 1/4 inch pressed plywood. I've found so far that my chassis, with me in it, can handle the dirt hill behind my house very well.

I also have to point out menuverability and mobility will be problems, and you should really consider the power you're going to need to run the tank, both motors and batteries. I don't yet have any electronics in mine but I know I'm going to install alot of redundant systems, mainly because I don't want to have to drag it around if it breaks.

I hope that helps with your idea to build such a large scale.

----Original Message Follows---- From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net> Reply-To: tanks-at-rctankcombat.com To: tanks-at-rctankcombat.com Subject: Introductions... and insanity Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:59:50 -0400 Greetings all! Although I found the website a long time ago I just recently joined the mailing list... and I'm still catching up on the archives, so apologies in advance if I'm re-asking a silly question. With a couple of WWI tanks preparing to join the ranks, what are the general feelings about larger-than-1/6 scale tanks? I'm contemplating a 1/4 or 1/3 scale Jagdpanzer, which (at 1/4 scale) would be a little over six feet long and about seventeen inches tall. Given the low profile and ruling-out of frontal hits I'm guessing that, even at six feet long, it could still be "competitive," and the larger size will give me some additional room to play with more gadgets (like a snowplow blade). Comments regarding my sanity will be politely acknowledged but won't have any more affect than those made by my coworkers that already think I'm insane for wanting to build a tank in the first place. Cautionary tales from those who have gone this way before and have decided that the trip wasn't worth it are welcome. Encouragements will only get me in more trouble with my wife (but, then again, such is life). As an aside - I'm terrible with names, so forgive me for not remembering, but I did meet some of you (Frank and Steve?) at the recent shindig down in Danville, VA; I was the crazy guy with the video camera that was asking about artillery and bigger tanks. :-) I'm looking forward to the tank battle on the 30th, but I'm not all that familiar with the St. Charles area (only been there a couple of times) so I'll need some directions. - Steve

Share a single photo or an entire slide show right inside your e-mail with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*