From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Introductions... and insanity
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:59:50 -0400

Greetings all!

Although I found the website a long time ago I just recently joined the
mailing list... and I'm still catching up on the archives, so apologies
in advance if I'm re-asking a silly question.

With a couple of WWI tanks preparing to join the ranks, what are the
general feelings about larger-than-1/6 scale tanks? I'm contemplating a
1/4 or 1/3 scale Jagdpanzer, which (at 1/4 scale) would be a little over
six feet long and about seventeen inches tall.  Given the low profile
and ruling-out of frontal hits I'm guessing that, even at six feet long,
it could still be "competitive," and the larger size will give me some
additional room to play with more gadgets (like a snowplow blade).

Comments regarding my sanity will be politely acknowledged but won't
have any more affect than those made by my coworkers that already think
I'm insane for wanting to build a tank in the first place. Cautionary
tales from those who have gone this way before and have decided that the
trip wasn't worth it are welcome. Encouragements will only get me in
more trouble with my wife (but, then again, such is life).

As an aside - I'm terrible with names, so forgive me for not
remembering, but I did meet some of you (Frank and Steve?) at the recent
shindig down in Danville, VA; I was the crazy guy with the video camera
that was asking about artillery and bigger tanks.  :-)  I'm looking
forward to the tank battle on the 30th, but I'm not all that familiar
with the St. Charles area (only been there a couple of times) so I'll
need some directions.

    - Steve