From: Joe Sommer <anvilus9-at-adelphia.net>
Subject: compensating idler on M1 Abrams
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:51:21 -0400

Dan,

At 02:30 AM 10/3/2004 -0400, "Dan W" <danw30-at-hotmail.com> wrote:
>(side note) the front idler wheel on the full scale M60 Patton and
>M1abrams seems to have a device that is linked to the first road wheel.
>This accomplishes/maintains track tension when the road wheel travels
>twords the hull. Does any one have any info on this. It may be a while
>before I can check it out on an M60  Patton.

1)  There is an excellent Yahoo group about
M1 Abrams tanks.
It is mostly for small scale detail modelers
but it also has a wealth of photos and CAD
drawings that I often use.  You will need to
join to view their files.

2)  I have bundled 6 JPEGs into a ZIP file
that show the M1 compensating idler.  I can
send it to you or to anyone else that
requests it.  I did not attach it to this note
or send it directly without your permission
because it is 454 KB and may clog some
Email accounts.

3)  I built a 1/8 M1 hull with full torsion bar
suspension and Intralox plastic track.  I did
not use a compensating idler.

Joe

Joe Sommer
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803
814.234.4773     anvilus9-at-adelphia.net
http://www.anvilus.com