From: paul needham <paul.2.needham-at-btconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Update website
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:40:36 +0100

Marc

Will it run with less tension ? do you think.
Where could I buy the polyethene ? I am in the UK.
regards paul

At 12:15 02/10/2004, you wrote:
Steve wrote:

You've built the first cog driven TTS!  Did you use Delrin for the cleats also?

The cleats are made of PE (polyethene or -ethylene, don't know the exact translation).
It is the same plastic as used for the inner treads, in fact, I made them out of some spare inner treads I had lying around. They were cut to the right size using the table saw.
Good engineers prefer to use two different materials for cog drive systems. They tend to choose softer material for the part that is easy and cheap to repair when worn (so this material is kind of 'sacrificed') and the more durable material for the other drive component.
I just couln't make a choice, so chose to be able to change the cleats on the wheel and the track treads
when they are all worn. Been thinking of steel cleats, but these would damage the tracks too much and wooden cleats, for instance, would be worn out too soon. Then I would need a cleat supply vehicle in battle.

Kurt wrote:

Was there pics of the cleated drive wheel ??? If so then I guess my old eyes missed them..

There are, surf to www.commandojurre.nl, click 'Update speelgoedtank' in the left border and you will be directed to the update page.

Marc