From: "Steve Tyng" <stevet-at-stcharlesmd.com>
Subject: RE: Penn Tracks
Date: 6 Aug 2004 15:46:00 -0400

Frank Pittelli wrote,

> So, I recommend that you forsake TTS (Tyng Track System)
> technology and use ATTS (Advanced Tri-Pact Track System)
> technology ;-)

I'll ignore your continuing attempts to hijack the TTS name - for now at least.  ;-)

> Steve has been inhaling too much glue!!!

Is this a bad thing?

> The Tiger tracks
> use four rivets to sandwich the conveyor belt between the
> inner and outer treads, and after two full weekends of hard
> battling and many hours of field-tests, there is no sign of
> any problem with the belt.  (Heck, I didn't even glue the
> treads that cover the belt's scarf joint.)

Now, to the matter at hand.  Flier was describing a system where the treads were
"slip-fitted" over the belting material and rivets would be employed to keep them
from moving forward and back.  Perhaps this outstanding weather we are currently
experiencing in Maryland has numbed your powers of perception in regards to tank
engineering.  But I see a "slip-fit" as something totally different than the means
employed by yourself with your TYNG TRACK SYSTEM.  In your implementation of the
TYNG TRACK SYSTEM, rivets are used to compress the inner and outer pieces to the
belting material.  It is this compression against the belt and subsequent friction
that is keeping your cleats securely in place!  Since it is well known that aluminum
pop rivets will loosen in time.  I predict a gradual degradation and finally a
catastrophic failure of your TYNG TRACK SYSTEM.  Particularly in the splice joint
were you proudly boast of your lack of adhesive in this most critical area.  I can
only hope that the mighty T1 is in my sights when this event occurs.  No quarter, or
compassion will be given during this time of your direst need.  If we happen to be
battling side by side I'll finish the T1 myself to put the old geriatric out of its
misery!  ;-)

All kidding aside, I'd still use glue.  Point fasteners such as rivets, nails, and
screws will never work as well as a good adhesive!

Steve "Can't wait to get outside" Tyng