From: Joe Sommer <anvilus9-at-adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: mystery tank
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:41:12 -0400

Boris and Frank,

At 09:05 AM 8/3/2004 -0400, Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com> wrote:

>berin1-at-optusnet.com.au wrote:
>>I think it may be chinese, it said Leopard but none that I know
>>of...I am no expert ...I would like to build one though, the two guns
>>look MEAN...if anyone has any info pon this beastie, please let me
>>know !
>
>If I'm not mistaken, it looks like an Iron Cross painted on the side, so
>it is probably German.   And it definitely looks mean!!

modern German cross

modern dual pad tracks with center guide horn
(Diehl 570 similar to Leopard, Abrams, Ariete, LeClerc)
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/tracks/diehl/index.html

looks like the Rheinmetall 120mm L44 gun
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/leo2.htm

only 5 road wheels ?

Based on the shape of the glacis and 5 road wheels, it
could have been a variant of the Jaguar
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/jaguar1.htm
or the JPZ4-5 Jagdpanzer Kanone
http://www.battletanks.com/jagdpanzer_kanone.htm
http://www.clandavidsonusa.com/wac/afvphotos/german/jagdpanzer_kanone/jagdpanzer_kanone.htm
However, the Jagdpanzer Kanone did not use dual pad tracks.

I could not find any other info.

Joe

Joe Sommer
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803
814.234.4773     anvilus9-at-adelphia.net
http://www.anvilus.com