From: "steve gusikoski" <stemc03-at-telus.net>
Subject: RE: Double the engines?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:50:20 -0600

I concur,

My original track was a single #35 roller chain system and I had a lot
of trouble with thrown track, I am in the process of building new track
out of Double wide #40, I am also installing new wheels and track guides
because, as Tyng says, the track guiding system at the wheels is very
very important when turning.

Steve "T014" Gusikoski

RE:

Paul wrote:

> Everyone using tracks that are made from a chain that is not
> Roller Chain have given up sprocket drive in favour of
> friction drive. All normal chain drives expect the sprockets
> and the chain to remain in alignment at all times , on a tank
> this does not happen when you are trying to turn and so the
> chain rides up the sprocket and comes off , especially bike
> chain where the chain and sprockets are designed to do that
> so the gears can be changed.

About bike chain jumping of the sprockets.  I think it may have more to
do with the sprocket than the chain.  If you look at the typical bike
sprocket you'll see one tooth that has a ramp cut into it to allow the
chain to come on and off easily.  I always wondered if a standard 40
series sprocket (same pitch as bike chain but thicker) were turned down
to an appropriate thickness, if that would work well for a sprocket
drive track.

No matter how a track is driven.  If it doesn't have a good system to
keep the track in alignment at the road wheels.  It will most likely
fail in a skid turn.

Steve Tyng