From: David Voderberg <crosis101-at-yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Scale time.
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:42:21 -0700 (PDT)

Ooooooo

I suppose now would be a goot time to whip out frame
rate conversions for Filmaking, as special effects
folks have the same problems....

Hmmmm..... whish is why the bigger the modle the
better...

And why some of the Planes in Empire of the Sun were
1/4 scale remote controled modles that had motocycle
engines...

Hmmm

Dave

--- William and Melissa Johns
<gizmology-at-gizmology.net> wrote:
> At 03:37 PM 7/8/2004, you wrote:
> >The Hetzer was recently upgraded to 24V Makita
> drill
> >motors and has regained its title as the fastest
> tank
> >in RC Tank Combat   http://www.rctankcombat.com
>

> That gets me thinking.  At what speed should my Mk V
> run?  The real thing
> roared along at the breakneck speed of 4 mph.  If I
> aim for an accurate
> scale speed, the model would move at a mere 1 foot
> per second, take a month
> to reach the battlefield, and stop every paintball
> in the country.  On the
> other hand, if I made it go really fast, it would
> look pretty absurd.   I
> figure 2.4 feet per second is about right.  (That
> way it would only take
> two weeks to reach the battle field.)
>
> I've always been fascinated by the effects of scale.
>  My theory is that
> since we can't scale gravity down, we have to
> compensate by scaling time up.
>
> An object falls 16 feet in one second, during which
> the real Mk V moved six
> feet.  16 scale feet is 2.67 real feet, which would
> take a falling object
> 0.41 seconds to travel, during which the model
> should move 6 scale feet, or
> one real foot.  one foot divided by 0.41 seconds is
> 2.4 feet per second.
>
> An object would fall 1600 feet in ten seconds,
> during which the tank would
> move 60 feet.  1600 scale feet is 266 real feet, and
> a falling object would
> cover that in 4.1 real seconds.  In that time, the
> model would have to move
> 60 scale feet, or 10 real feet ... or 2.4 feet per
> second.  (Repeatability
> is nice.)
>
> Scale time works out to the inverse of the square
> root of scale
> distance.  (6" = 1" for linear dimensions, 1 second
> = 2.45 seconds for time
> dimensions.)
>
> I think I think too much.  Or maybe I have 2.4 times
> too much time on my hands.
>

> Bill "What time is it?" Johns
>

> --
>
> "Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds
> of a world made by God
> specifically for man - who has no gills." - Ambrose
> Bierce

=====
Ahhh Arogance and stupidity, all in the same package! How efficent of you!

--Abasador Londo Millari to Earth Force C in C on their lack of respect for the
Minbari Military