From: Dan Ervin <danervin-at-wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: fording depth
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:18:37 -0700

12V motors will still work underwater, but:

1) Current will leak across the water, costing you battery life. It
shouldn't be noticable for short trips through a puddle. Taking up a
hull-down position in the water for a longer period, you may lose some
battery life.

2) Getting water inside the battery may be bad for the brushes and/or
bearings. Muddy water can be even worse, as the particles may scratch or
gum up the bearings. Also, the inside of the casing may rust. Cheaper
motors may be painted on the outside, but the inside is bare metal.

So, you don't need to panic about puddles, but you may need to replace
your motors a little sooner than you would otherwise.