From: "Steve Tyng" <stevet-at-stcharlesmd.com>
Subject: RE: swampcat overkill
Date: 5 May 2004 14:32:00 +0800

Nick wrote:

> I've wondered about that, mostly because I know nothing about
> batteries. Would a regular old car battery work for my application?

Car batteries are designed for high amperage short duration loads (i.e. starting a
car).  Depending on how long you want to run the Swampcat around before recharging,
will determine if a starter battery will work for you.

If your still thinking of using the four batteries.  I have two heavy duty 48volt DC
motors that would probably move your vehicle around just fine.  They came out of an
old computer tape drive (those big floor standing units you see in old scifi films).
 Their maybe 8" long and 4 to 5" in diameter with 1/2" shafts.  The caveat is that
they are not permanent magnet (PM) motors.  They are field coil.  They use more amps
than an equivalent PM motor but they can achieve higher torque than a PM motor.

Steve Tyng