From: Robert Currie <rctanksrcool-at-yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: New England Bull Session Proposal
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:33:38 -0400 (EDT)

Wow I just have to say that I really enjoy this mailing list not just to voice Ideas and have them bounce around in here good or bad I think that the majority  in here are sincere and enthusiastic about tank combat as a new and growing hobby and to have one ruin it for the many of us who benefit from advice and new Ideas is a shame  I plan on meeting you all next year you all seem like a fun bunch

Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com> wrote:
WJ wrote:

> Have there been any plans to use some kind of Forum-construction instead
> of the mailing-list? I admit I am a forum-addict, but it does have a lot
> of practical advantages (organization of info, searching, replying) to a
> system like that. It also prevents people on the mail-list from becoming
> aggressive against it ?!

Back in the old days (mid 80's) forums/newgroups were the preferred
mechanism for lots of practical reasons, but in the 90's they fell out
of favor and were replaced by mailing lists. I think it was primarily
because people found email tools easier to use and there weren't any
news readers that were really easy to use and install.

Now, with news reading integrated into most email tools, I've been
thinking about changing back to a newsgroup format. That would allow
people to download only those messages they are interested in, but might
also confuse users not totally comfortable with such tools.

Many email tools now provide "threaded" displays of messages, which
allow you to see messages grouped by topic. Alternatively, you can use
the Web interface to the mail archive at:

http://www.rctankcombat.com/archive/current/

to read messages, which is organized just like a newsgroup. For anyone
who wants to use the web interface to read the mailing list, just let me
know and I'll configure your address so that it can submit messages, but
will not receive any, thereby uncluttering your mail box.

Regardless of the format, however, we'll always see some unfortunate
messages from different people. The price of "free speech".

Frank P.