From: "Richard Davis" <its2farout-at-earthlink.net>
Subject: Just TOO Wild an idea
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 22:26:36 -0500

 As I've heard it said, "keep it simple".  High tech can be made or kept
simple and sometimes it takes more thought and brain power to make
something simple.
 Go to Edmund scientific, search for micro video camera, check it out. For
about $130 you can purchase a micro ,spy-type color video camera that will
transmit (wireless) up to approx. 150ft to a manual tuning TV (13" type).
If mounted to the barrel, looking down the barrel, you can somewhat keep
the barrel aimed towards your target so that if you stop abruptly ,it will
take only slight adjustment to be aimed at target for a quick shot. This is
a fairly cheap, simple and very do-able approach to what you want.. Better
YET, if you mounted the camera to the turret above the barrel (to better
see the target) and put some type range-bar  on the barrel, and if you
correctly judged the range of the target , you'd know how far to elevate
the barrel for longer shots that would make it harder on an opponent to
score a hit on you, a definate advantage I would think.

impractical idea:
> gyroscopic turret.
>
> Meaning a turret that maintains its bearings regardless of the turning of
the tank.
> I don't think it would use gyroscopes but thats what I think some WWII
aircraft (P51 mustang maybe?) called their gunning systems, that probably
used gyroscopes.

> Has anyone thought of this, or does anyone think it would be useful?
>
> I think the mechanical approach would be fascinating to see done but
might be too difficult.

> I think some logic might be an easy way to do it.  Assuming single speed
tracks and ignoring changes in elevation: if one motor gets a signal, that
signal also goes to the turret system after some transformation.