From: William and Melissa Johns <gizmology-at-gizmology.net>
Subject: Re: Sprockets & metal casting
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:32:12 -0500

Geoff,
   Yes, casting aluminum is a great way to make parts, especially if you
need lots of identical parts (track links come to mind).  It's dirt cheap,
too - the charcoal is cheap, and you can even make your own out of
discarded pallets or whatever.  The furnace (coffee cans) won't last too
long, but it's even cheaper to replace than the charcoal.  Scrap aluminum
to melt and cast is everywhere - old BBQ grills are great.  The sand and
cat litter for the green sand is dirt cheap too.  You might even have a
natural sand-and-clay deposit in your yard.
   Of course, you can also go bonkers and build a propane or oil-burning
furnace, buy certified ingot to cast, and buy commercial casting sand,
which makes the process more expensive.  It's a matter of what you're
looking to do.
   The catch is that it's a lot of work.  But that's the way it always
is.  Money or effort, your choice.
   Yes, it is a good way to really hurt yourself.  ("The Center for
Research on Things You Shouldn't Try At Home", remember?) It's one of those
things where you're not really too likely to hurt yourself, but if you do
hurt yourself, you REALLY hurt yourself.  A few simple steps can be taken
to keep it safer.  Primarily: avoid water!  Hot metal and water can cause a
steam explosion you wouldn't believe.  If your green sand feels damp, it's
too wet.  If your flask catches fire, don't hose it off!  Let it burn, or
bury it in sand.  Don't pour over damp ground (or concrete, which can
absorb water).  Etc.  Common sense goes a long way.
   The most likely injury is a burn from flying metal from a steam
explosion.  Wear a face guard, gloves, etc, to cover all skin and you
should be okay.  Some folks wear spats to protect their feet - I always
figured you've got to be a real moron to pour metal on your feet, but hey,
you've got to be a real moron to drop a crucible full of metal,
too.  (Heh.)  It's cheap insurance.  I use a 2' x 4' shield between me and
the molds and furnace to protect my feet, heavy gloves on my hands, long
sleeve quilted shirt, and a clear plastic face guard.  I really ought to do
something about my legs - jeans don't provide any protection at all!  In
fact, they  may make it worse, as they could wick the metal up and hold it
in contact with my legs.  I think I'll get an apron.

   I'm babbling here.  Yes, casting aluminum is an easy, not overly
dangerous, and dirt cheap way of making custom parts.  Especially lots of
identical parts.

Bill

--

"... the slide rule ... most insidious tool ever created and proves the
devil is among us."  -  The Watchtower