From: "Robert Hodson" <timias-at-wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie electronics questions.
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:42:20 -0500

> Bjorn Wallentinus wrote:
> >
> > - How do I calculate the Amps they use? I tried to measure it with a
multimeter
> > when driving the motor at full speed but all the current just went
through the
> > multimeter instead :) Can I measure the Amp or do I have to calculate
it?

Don't try to calculate the amperes while driving. The load on the motors
will change as you go over terrain.
Different loads = different current draws

Why not get the Amp-Hours ratings of your batteries and then calculate a
rough idea of your current draw based on the length it takes to discharge.
You can do this while your driving your typical terrain.

Note:You can get pretty good accuracy but not perfect, because Amp Hours
discharge rates are not perfectly linear.

While your doing this make sure you don't cause your motors to stall out. It
causes a massive current draw, which reduces the efficency of your batteries
considerably.