From: "SteveT44" <SteveT44-at-comcast.net>
Subject: RE: TTS track dimension help ?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:39:59 -0400

Paul wrote:

>is that each i.e top and bottom or both when nailed up ?

Each top and bottom piece is 5/16" thick

>When you cut the wood for the teeth make sure the grain is running top to bottom for maximum strength. Not side to side. What do you mean by this [ I know it is important to get right but can't visualize it.

Think of a wooden pencil.  The grain runs the length of the pencil and gives it strength.  When you cut the teeth pieces you need to replicate that by having the grain run from the bottom to top.  See attached figure.

>Been frightening myself to death cutting wheels on my 10" bench saw , A little like steves method but I start with squares and cut wheels ! bits flying every where.

I found a safer way to cut wheels on my power miter saw.  Clamp a piece of wood onto the bed of the miter saw.  The clamped piece will support the wheel while it is being cut and should extend past the cut line (until the first cut that is).  Put a small nail or brad through the center of the wheel blank and nail the blank the appropriate distance away from the cut line.  Make your first cut.  rotate the wheel blank a little bit and cut.  Keep doing this and you'll have a perfect wheel in no time and hopefully with all your fingers intact.

>Still hunting rubber bungee type material in the UK , couple of more leads to follow before I am begging someone to help me out !

If you can't find the bungee cords let me know and I'll ship you some.

Steve

Tread Detail.jpg