From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: Definitive ruling requested!
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:35:43 -0400

Steve Tyng wrote:
> I am requesting a definitive ruling from the Rule Master Pittelli
> concerning the following point.
>
> *     What constitutes a "Frontal Hit" on a turret?

How about these guidelines:

a) On turrets that have a front facet or mantel (whichever is largest)
that is at least 50% as wide as the widest part of the turret, the front
facet or mantel (which is largest) is the "front" of the turret.

b) On all other turrets, the "front" is the region of the turret lying
within a 90 degree arc drawn from the middle of the turret that is
centered on the gun. In such cases, two boundary lines will be painted
on the turret to mark the frontal area.

I haven't researched every possible turret, but I think that these
guidelines would be fair for the great majority of them. The circular
turrets (like the Sherman) and spherical turrets (like the T72) cause
the biggest problem, because the have no facets and/or their mantels are
relatively small.  But, I think that guideline (b) solves such problems
quite well (thanks Eric).

Comments?

        Frank "RM" Pittelli