From: "SteveT44" <SteveT44-at-comcast.net>
Subject: RE: turrent motor ..
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:43:30 -0400

Ray wrote:

>ok , what motor are you all using for your turrents . i already bought
one motor i can use and would like to not do that again .

The never-ending search for the perfect turret motor!

I've used several to date.  When T005 was at 24volts I was using a pretty
decent 24v 100rpm gearhead motor I had scavenged out of an old printer
(http://www.rctankcombat.com/tanks/T005/54TurretRoller2-large.jpg).  I
figured with that motor, it would turn the turret a full 360 in about 8 to
10 seconds and it didn't strain to much.  When I converted T005 to a 12volt
system I purchased a 100rpm 12v gearhead motor with the same form-factor
(http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=
4400&cgrfnbr=501&ctgys=).  This motor was smaller than the first.  It would
spin the turret but was straining and was easy to stall.  A few days before
the Battle for Middle Maryland I decided I could do better.  I took the
gearhead off of my old 24v motor and with some fudging attached a 12v 550
motor that was a propulsion motor out of an old R/C warship.  The new motor
is noisy as heck but seems to work well and does not strain or stall.  Had
to put caps on it because it was really interfering with the receiver.  Now
I can spin T005's turret in 5 seconds!

I highly recommend a proportional speed control on a turret motor.  The fine
adjustment it provides helps significantly when trying to hit targets at
long range.  A rock-solid elevate is a must also.

Steve 'Sniper' Tyng