From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: Another rules question:
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:14:03 -0400

erik kump wrote:
>> there isn't really any way to allow the battler to approach their tank
>> without stopping the battle.
>
> I thought they were generally following along behind anyway? Or do you
> mean they just weren't supposed to be TOO close?

You're correct.  Battlers generally walked around the field about 10-20
feet behind their vehicles, constantly making sure that they weren't in
the direct line of fire.  Naturally, people took some shots (mostly in
the legs and, of course, the family jewels ;-( but far less than a
normal paintball game.  Getting hit is part of the game and keeps
everyone on their toes.  It's not a problem as long as (a) everyone
wears their face mask and (b) the guns have been set at a reasonable
velocity (we need to get a chrono).

>> in the last battle, battlers were only allowed to reload or work on
>> their vehicle when (a) in home base or (b) when a 5-minute timeout was
>> called by either team.
>
> What does that do to the role of supply vehicles? Do you just use a
> timeout when reloading in the field from them or a supply depot? And how
> many timeouts did each side have? Or is it at the CD's discretion?

Yes.  The supply vehiles move supplies from the home-base to various
spots around the field (we allowed each supply vehicle to carry a max
load of 40 paintballs, which seemed to work well).  Then, in order to
make use of those depots, a timeout must be called by either team.
During the timeout, the closest team to the depot could use it to supply
any of their vehicles within 10 feet of the depot.  That forces the team
leader to "think" in advance about getting vehicles to the supply depot
in order to maximize the timeout.  With only 5 vehicles and a small
field, we only used the supply depot twice, but with more vehicles and
larger fields, the forward supply depots will be important.

As far as the number of timeouts, that will always be at the CD's
discretion.  We used 2 per team for the one-hour battles, which was just
about right.  It didn't stop the action too often, but at critical
times, they were valuable.

        Frank P.