From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: Another rules question:
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:02:34 -0400

erik kump wrote:
> Section III, item 3 defines the offensive rating (ie. maximum magazine
> size) for vehicles. But a lot of real tanks carry more ammo in a
> secondary storage compartment elsewhere in the tank. If a tank is rated
> for a 40 round magazine, could it be entitled to carry a second,
> separate load of 40 elsewhere in the tank? I'm not looking to expand the
> magazine size, but if real tankers can stop and pull the ammo from
> storage for a quick reload, maybe we can too. What do you guys think?

Good question, but don't hold your breath waiting for that change ;-)

One aspect of the last battle that was generally agreed by all battlers
was that the 40 round limit really makes you think.  It's just enough to
let you go out and wail away when you need to, but not enough to allow
rampant spraying of paint.  And, when you're out of paint, you are no
use on the battlefield to anyone, except your enemy.  Quite a number of
kills happened after someone ran out of paint (including the venerable
and wily T001 ;-)

Another issue involves the issue of reloading in the field.  Even with
only 5 tanks in the battle, there is rarely a moment when there isn't at
least one tank waiting to attack someone.  In fact, when you run out of
paint, everyone will know almost instantly, and you will become a target
very quickly.  Therefore, there isn't really any way to allow the
battler to approach their tank without stopping the battle.  Even in the
first battle, when only Will and I were battling, it was clear that
whenever a battler works on their tank in the field, it significantly
impacts the game.

For that reason, in the last battle, battlers were only allowed to
reload or work on their vehicle when (a) in home base or (b) when a
5-minute timeout was called by either team.  That approach worked quite
well and I plan on codifying that in the rules next week.  However,
instead of allowing any number of tanks in home-base at a given time, I
think a limit of N (chosen by the CD based on the size of the teams)
should be imposed to further require battlers to think like a team,
managing the use of home-base effectively.

Keep in mind, the overall goal of the rules is to establish a safe, fun
and competitive "team" game that is more challenging than lots of
individual vehicles running around shooting each other.  Resource
limitations force teams to think like a team, because without
coordination on one side, the other side will always have the advantage.

        Frank P.