From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: Rules Question:
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:38:25 -0400

erik kump wrote:
> I'm not bringing this up to tinkle in anyone's coffee, but I'm confused.
> If you check this link:
> http://www.rctankcombat.com/archive/current/msg00004.html  you will see
> a mailing from Frank Pittelli in which he mentions that the battlers
> were standing about ten feet behind their tanks to aim better. Isn't
> this a flagrant violation of the rules? Section IV, items 6 and 7 define
> the conditions of a battler being on the field, and aiming isn't one of
> them. They are even marked with the skull symbol to denote their safety
> importance.

You must remember a few things about the rules:

1) They were written about 2 years ago, before any battles were held, so
lots of areas where "penciled in" with the intention of evolving them as
needed.

2) We have always intended to let the rules evolve naturally as we learn
more about battlefield conditions.  In the R/C warship world, it took
about 10 years for the rules to finally "stabilize" to a balance between
saftey, fun and competition.  We don't plan on taking that long to reach
the same balance, but it will take more than one battle.

3) If my choice is between (a) fixing something on my tank, (b) helping
someone else build their tank, (c) writing propaganda articles, or (d)
fixing the rules ... ;-)

That said, you are 100% correct about the inconsistency between that
rule (as well as some other battlefield management issues, such as the
use of home-base) and what we actually did on the battlefield.  Next
week, when I'm laying on the beach soaking in some rays, I'll have some
time to go through the entire set of rules and see what needs to be
done.  I'll then check with the guys who were at the battle to ensure
that any changes make sense, and then I'll post the proposed changes to
the mailing list for review.

        Frank P.