From: Joe Sommer <anvilus9-at-adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Hetzer's Gun Effectiveness/Gun Elevations
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:08:11 -0400

Jeremy,

At 12:41 PM 7/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I was wondering how the non-traversing gun on the Hetzer worked
>out.  Mainly were there any aiming difficulties, was it possible for
>accurate longer range shots, and is the whole idea of a tank destroyer
>workable in RC tank combat?  I'd personally love to see and perhaps one
>day build a Jagdpanther so I was wondering if this was at all a good idea
>for battle.

I originally wanted to build a JagdPanther but built
a Hetzer to learn how.  It is a much smaller target,
is much lighter and has fewer road wheels.

In the first two battles on Day One, I locked my gun elevation
servo at horizontal.  I used fixed gun elevation and fixed right/left
gun traverse.  I used a 3-channel Traxxas TQ3 pistol radio from
an E-Maxx monster struck that had a steering wheel, trigger
throttle for forward/reverse and thumb toggle switch to fire the
gun.  I got the 27 MHz TQ3 from Ebay for $35.

The Hetzer was very effective against the slower Tri-Pact tanks
if she could get one alone and isolated.  I think that the Hetzer
was the first to get a solo kill (4 shots on the Panther).

However, she had to effectively close to point-blank range and
would often fall prey to covering fire from other tanks as shown
in Frank's diagram for the opening fracas of Battle #1.

Secondly, uneven terrain occasionally caused me to fire over targets
even at point-blank range, and more often to fire under targets
farther that 20 feet.

On Day Two, I used my gun elevation servo and a 6 channel 75 Mhz
dual stick Hitec radio.  I used the right stick for driving, the left stick
for elevation, and the landing gear toggle switch to fire the gun.  The
Hitec radio was about $140 from Tower Hobbies.  The gun could
elevate to 10 degrees and depress only to horizontal.  Right/left
gun traverse was fixed straight ahead.

I did manage to get a few longer range hits (~40 feet) with the ability to
elevate and some good steering.  However, I had trouble closing to
point-blank range on Day Two due to broken axle mounts
(much slower turning).  I did engage the T-34 one-on-one
late in the third battle and complete a kill, but I had a
lot of trouble because the T-34 was actually just a bit faster
due to my broken axles.

Summary

1)  Gun elevation and depression of +/- 10 degrees is very
important when operating on uneven terrain.

2)  Fixed right/left gun traverse means that you want to be
the fastest tank on the field.  A slow tank destroyer with
fixed gun is dead meat.

3)  I do not believe that limited right/left gun traverse
similar to actual Hetzers and JagdPanthers would help
significantly.

A Hetzer is great fun because you are always maneuvering,
but be prepared to take a lot of hits.  I highly recommend a
Hetzer as your first tank because it is simple to build and
leaves plenty of room in the hull for your gun and CO2 bottle,
versus trying to squeeze them into a turret.

In German, "Hetzer" means trouble-maker and she certainly
lives up to her name in R/C tank combat.

Joe

Joe Sommer
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803
814.234.4773     anvilus9-at-adelphia.net
http://users.adelphia.net/~anvilus9/