From: "Steve Tyng" <stevet-at-stcharlesmd.com>
Subject: RE: Hetzer's Gun Effectiveness/Gun Elevations
Date: 1 Jul 2003 15:00:00 +0800

Jeremy F. wrote:

>On a side-note, I can't seem to figure out how people get effective elevate
>mechanisms.  By my count, a radio controller has two sticks.  If one is dedicated
>to the steering and power, that leaves on stick for controlling fire, traverse, and
>elevate.  Since there are four main positions on a stick and assuming that you need
>three for two-way turret traverse and gune firing, how do people elevate AND
>depress their guns.

You use a five channel radio.  The fifth channel is usually a switch on top of the
transmitter that+s used to operate the landing gear in an aircraft setup.

As to your first question:

>I was wondering how the non-traversing gun on the Hetzer worked out.  Mainly were
>there any aiming difficulties, was it possible for accurate longer range shots, and
>is the whole idea of a tank destroyer workable in RC tank combat?

As a target for the Stealth Hetzer during our third battle I would say that a tank
destroyer is a viable platform for the hobby if:

   - You have good and reliable skid steering for close in combat.
   - A little bit of traverse for long range accuracy.
   - Walnut axle supports!  ;-)

Of course Joe may disagree with me.

Steve Tyng