From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: Calling Will Montgomery
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:30:08 -0400

Will Montgomery wrote:

> The chain has almost no side flex. Some there will no problem with
> throwing a tread. The only problem is to keep your fingers away from it
> while it's running.

Will is *not* under-stating the reliability of the roller chain track
... it is built like a tank (no pun intended).  It is practically
impossible to damage it and there appears to be no way that it will come
off of the sprocket in normal operation.  In fact, it is hard enough to
remove after all of the tension has been released from the drive wheels.

Although I invented the bicycle track approach when I started building
my Tiger, and feel obligated to keep using it on that vehicle for
tradition's sake, I am fairly certain that the next tracked vehicle that
I build will be using the roller chain. What you lose in increased
weight is easily made up for by increased reliability and performance.

        Frank P.