From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: tech exchange meeting 2/8 to compare track systems
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 22:10:38 -0500

liefg-at-juno.com wrote:

 > The article was very helpful.  however, the picture of steve Tying's
 > T-34 driving in the snow is AWESOME!  If it had a turret, it could be
 > the logo for the club! Lief

I agree that the picture is great, but it doesn't capture even 1/10 of
the excitement experienced by everyone who watched the event.  Prior to
that point, we watched Will's vehicle and Joe's vehicle attempt a snow
passage.  Both got a little way in, stopped and were unable to extract
themselves.  We all assumed that 4-6 inches of wet snow would basically
stop any vehicle and we went into the shop for a couple hours to work on
everything.

In the late afternoon, the T-34 was ready for its first field test and
Steve drove it down the level road, going over a couple snow bumps with
relative ease.  His drive system wasn't generating much power for some
reason (he's working on that problem now), but we sent him up a snow
covered slope anyway.  Not only did he climb farther up the slope than
the other vehicles, but he drove back down the slope without a problem.
  He repeated the feat a couple more times to ensure that it wasn't a
fluke.  The photo was taken to mark the achievement, with Steve grinning
from ear-to-ear.  If his drive system was producing a proper amount of
power, we are fairly certain that he could have continued across the
snow covered test course without a problem.  (As far as turning goes,
that's still an open issue.)

        Frank "History Is Being Made Every Day Now" Pittelli