From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: Tank Testing
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:11:02 -0500

Lief G Goodson wrote:
> A couple questions for the guys in the know...
> Who all is involved in this weekend's testing in Maryland?
> Is this just testing or a battle?

No battling planned, just building, testing and BSing.  Unfortunately,
the 6-8" of snow on the ground will probably keep the T-34 indoors,
while the Tigers frolic in their element.

> Speaking of testing, I have been testing my "blowgun" R/C design and
> concluded that the fastest rate of fire I can hope to obtain is about 1
> round every two seconds.  Coming from R/C Warship combat - that's slow.
> Frank/Will how important was rate of fire in your actual battle?

That's a good question.  For most of the time, I was either not shooting
at all while moving into the right position or I was shooting one shot
every now and then to judge distances and angles (tracer fire).
However, once you've got the range and distance, you immediately want to
fire a burst to score the necessary 4 hits.  However, the burst doesn't
have to be as fast as warship combat, because it takes longer for a tank
to move out of the target area.  I think that a shot every second or two
would be fast enough, provided each shot was reliable.  In fact, that's
why I lost the first battle.  Even though I had a better angle of
attack, magazine problems prevented me from shooting more than 2 shots
in a row, which gave Will the opportunity to improve his position and
return fire.

> Lief  "there's secret projects going on down here" Goodson

Oh great ... somebody in a warm climate who is keeping secrets!!  Sounds
like we might have to put a hold on the cold-war between Tri-Pact and
Tyng/Anvilus (the current, self-proclaimed super-powers of the hobby)
and send a coalition force down south to investigate.  Of course, we'll
need the French to be on-board to make it successful :-)