From: RATROK-at-aol.com
Subject: Re: found this site for motors
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:34:34 EST

www.meci.com also has kiddie car and other motors.
Might be worth at look at both sites to compare
prices. BTW, has any used windshield wiper motors to
power a tank? If so, maybe you could share a bit about
how they worked out, and any hints or tips for using
them.

--Geoff Crimmins

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Geoff,

I'm using the Saturn L series w.wiper motors a MECI sells.
They have PLENTY of torque and easily fit in my Tiger chassis.
Another benefit is it has 3 10m mounting holes.
Awile ago I calculated 56rpm turning a 4" drive sprocket is about 3 mph.
The drive configuration of Tiger 007 has been updated since the last pics were taken.
Now that I have a digital camera an update pic should be forthcoming.

Two words of advice:
The drive spline is unique to the arm and will not bolt-up to anything else. I had to weld the drive arm to a pipe flange and bolt the chain drive sprocket to that. Bringing me to point two. Bicycle chain drives are a bit fragile for this application. Especially any of the hi-pro racing stuff that is light weight. Toy store bike parts are probably a bit better because of the heaviness. I an considering using a double chain for the drive.
Knowing then what I do now I might of considered going belt drive. Not to say it might  have it's own set of problems.

Brian T.
007