From: Joe Sommer <anvilus9-at-adelphia.net>
Subject: light balsa armor for 1/6 Hetzer
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:20:07 -0500

Brian,

At 09:32 PM 11/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Cool link Joe, I look forward to pictures ... but I have to ask - You are
>going to sheet your hull with Balsa?  I don't think that's such a great
>idea, unless you like to resheet your tank often ...

The front armor and inner hull will be acrylic to protect the
gun, motors, batteries and electronics.  I plan for the sloped
side/rear armor, schuerzen (skirts), and fenders to be light balsa.

Yes, I will bring some extra balsa to battle for three reasons.

1)  The Hetzer was a cheap mass produced tank (2584 manufactured
from Apr 1944 through May 1945) compared to the JagdPanther (392
produced Jan 1944 through Mar 1945).  There are reports that Hetzers
were killed by lucky rounds from 0.50 caliber US M2 machine
guns.  Balsa armor seems appropriate.

2)  In the spirit of R/C warship combat, I thought that you guys might
have fun holing the balsa armor.  Occasional resheeting will be worth
the fun.

3)  If it becomes a problem, I will switch to titanium.

Joe

Joe Sommer
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803
814.234.4773     anvilus9-at-adelphia.net
http://users.adelphia.net/~anvilus9/