From: Joe Sommer <anvilus9-at-adelphia.net>
Subject: introduction and two questions
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:13:48 -0500

An introduction and two questions from a new guy -

Skoda has opened an R&D facility in State College, PA,
to develop and mass produce Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzers.
The Commononwealth of PA must defend our borders against
Canuck armored columns advancing south into MD and
particularly against invasion from the dread Land of
Cleves (Cleveland).

My name is Joe Sommer, and I have started a Hetzer with
the following specifications -

a)  1/6 scale, 31 inch long hull by 13 inch tall
b)  1/4 inch thick acrylic plastic for hull and front armor
c)  light balsa wood for side/rear armor, schuerzen, and fenders
d)  industrial plastic conveyor tracks and drive sprockets
e)  two Saturn wiper motors and eight 5.5 inch road wheels
f)  homebrew solid state relay motor controller
g)  no gun specs yet (leaning toward PMI Black Maxx)

General info is posted at http://users.adelphia.net/~anvilus9/

I have purchased Intralox Series 900 mold-to-width (MTW) flush
grid grey polypropylene conveyor belt and four 12T acetal sprockets.
See http://www.intralox.com/product_detail/s900beltid.htm

The conveyor belt is 3.25 inch wide with 1.07 inch pitch and has
two tracking tabs on the inside surface of each link.  It is sold in
10 ft lengths for $70/length and sprockets are $17.50 each.
Series 900 MTW also comes 4.5 inch wide for larger tanks.
I will send photos to the group when mounted.

The plastic hull has been designed for simple, rapid construction
and can easily be adapted from a Hetzer to a PzKpfw 38(t) or a
Marder III.  A fast little 38(t) with a rapid firing 0.40 caliber
Splatmatic XJ40 in the turret could be very mean.

I have two questions for the group.

1)  What top speed is typical for other tanks?  Top speed for
this Hetzer will be about 1 mph with the Saturn wiper motors.
If this Hetzer is too slow, everyone else should have fun
shooting through the balsa wood armor.  I have alternate
plans to mount electric drill motors if 1 mph is too slow.

2)  What radio band (air 72 MHz, ground 75 MHz) and which channel
should I choose when selecting a radio?  Should I get a radio with
the ability to change crystals?

Best wishes,
Joe Sommer

Joe Sommer
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803
814.234.4773     anvilus9-at-adelphia.net
http://users.adelphia.net/~anvilus9/