From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-pittelli.com>
Subject: Re: 1/6 Stuarts
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:28:30 -0500 (EST)

> One thing you guys should look at besides timing belts is using
> sprockets, bicycle sprockets and other, for the drive and separate the
> chain pin parts to add your own track pad in between using two chains
> per track one on either side.

Great minds think alike!!  That's exactly how are current operational
tank tracks are built, but, alas, a number of people consider that to
be too much work and they want to buy the tracks from someone else.

Currently, our track pads are made out of 1/8" plywood sealed with
epoxy and 1/8" steel stock.  Both at 3/4" wide, attached to the double
bike chains using rivets.  The systems are operational, but we're
looking to improve their looks and durability.

We've talked about molding track pads out of a durable resin/plastic of
some sort (we've got lots of experience molding hulls and parts for our
warships).  It also sounds like you can stamp out similar track pads
out of metal with your equipment.

Our biggest problems, however, come from the drive cogs, because the
machining of those requires more capabilities than we have.  We tried
using bicycle sprockets, but since they are designed to de-rail with
only a slight sidewards force, we had to abandon them.  Currently, we
use friction drive, with rubber drive wheels pushing the tracks.  That
works OK, but there is always the possibility of slipping when things
get rough.

> I've been excited to do something like paint ball gaming for a long time
> but the interest of others is always stifled by anti-ballistics people.
> Infra-red doesn't do it for me, I want to see who shot me!

Our sediments exactly!!!  When we started thinking about translating
our warship combat hobby into a land-based game, we all agreed that the
most important aspect was actually seeing "damage".  Our warships have
1/32" balsa sides and hundreds of BB holes are common during battles.
We thought about doing the same thing with tanks (ie. balsa panels) but
decided that the paint splatters alone would generate the excitement
needed.  And, during our first battle, I can honestly say that it was
exciting to see a round fired from your tank actually hit the other
tank (it's not as easy as people might think).

Despite what the non-projectile guys think, paintballs and BBs are
perfectly safe when appropriate safety rules are followed.  After all,
we've been firing BBs from warships for over 20 years without a serious
injury and literally millions of people deliberately shoot paintballs
at each other every year without serious problems.

We can only hope a couple more crazy tankers in your area dream of
shooting paintballs at another tank and before you know it, we'll be
holding an East-Coast vs. West-Coast battle for the supremacy of the
R/C Tank Combat world ;-)

        Frank "Just Don't Cross The Mississippi" Pittelli